Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Caissons go Rolling Along, Words of my Heart by Texas Artist Laurie Pace


"Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:9)

On this Veterans Day I have to share a remembrance of my dad who served in the Army during the Korean war.  Terry and I attended a Veteran's Day Banquet on Friday night this past week.  It is an annual banquet by the Republican Woman of Northeast Texas where they honor a living veteran in the area for their service.  

The company was fabulous being surrounded by men and women that have served in our great military; in addition Michael Lee US Navy Pilot (retired) as the speaker and the honorary Naval Senior Chief, Clinton Marshall Evetts.   Their stories warmed our hearts but it was the music that was my un-doing. 

 A group performed a medley of songs from the armed forces. This happened to be the exact medley I use to sing with my dad throughout the years of his Alzheimers.  Music never left him as the words and melodies of songs stayed strong in his soul and mind.  Everyone was invited to sing along and I did with gusto remembering my dad with each tune until they hit the army song and then it was all over.  The tears spilled over and down my checks and my throat choked on the words.   

The Lord my God is with me wherever I go... and the love and guidance of my own earthly father fill my heart alongside my heavenly Father's love and grace. 

I can still hear you singing with me....
I really miss you Dad.

"Over hill, over dale As we hit the dusty trail,
And those caissons go rolling along.
In and out, hear them shout, Counter march and right about,
And those caissons go rolling along.

Then it's hi! hi! hee! In the field artillery,
Shout out your numbers loud and strong, For where e'er you go,
You will always know That those caissons go rolling along. "


Words of my heart, Laurie
A Texas Artist Laurie Pace


No comments:

Word of the Heart to share.... by Laurie Pace